Tuesday, 12 January 2010

My disorganization will be the death of me

...not really, but you get the point.

Yesterday, my pc crapped out on me and I decided (after trying to just repair the installation and figuring out that it would be better to start with a clean slate) to format the partition Windows was in so I could install it again.

I won't speak of the troubles that came with it. I think that simply saying "OMGBBQWTFARGH" covers it. I will say, however, that I'm an idiot. Or my brother is, I can't figure out which*. I'll explain: I found out that I was missing half of the drivers I needed for my computer to run smoothly again. And I didn't think about the sound card until I realized my sound was too quiet...because it was coming out from my Logitech speaker. If this sounds confusing, said speaker came with my mouse and keyboard; it also had a headseat and it transmits the signal to my keyboard and mouse. What's amusing about this (to me) is that I thought everything was fine even though I have a 3.1 speaker system, and the sound was incredibly quiet.


Still, everything is (mostly) fine now, including no endless rebooting cycle (though this may change when I reboot in a couple of minutes). The happy part about this: well, there isn't one, but I finally wrote down each model for the sound card, graphics card, etc, so when I go through this mess again I won't have trouble figuring out their names.


*Basically, the whole reason why I don't have half of my drivers is because 1) my brother went on one of his cleaning rampages and threw all the boxes my components came in out or 2) I did that without even bothering to check if there was valuable stuff inside the boxes.

0 comments: