Sunday, 14 February 2010

50 books? Woah there, I barely know how to read.

(THIS UPDATE WAS MADE IN A TIMELY MANNER.)

So, ever since I found out about a community on livejournal called 50 book challenge , I've tried many times to, and this will surprise you, do the 50 book challenge. This was one of the attempts. Of course, as you can see, I didn't finish it. Not by a long shot-- even though, I have to say, I didn't read only 5 books. This is the full list of stuff I read pertaining to the challenge:

  • Native Tongue
  • The Canterville Ghost
  • The Smile at the Foot of the Ladder
  • Lord Arthur Saville's Crime
  • The Haunted House (and other stories)
  • The Thirteen Problems 
  • Homely Girl: A Life and Other Stories
  • Treasure Island
  • The Color of Magic
  • Lunário
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • Guards! Guards!

    Seeing this list makes me think that I haven't done that bad (particularly because I'm sure I have forgotten a couple of books) but 12 books in a year isn't something to be satisfied with. Particularly when I realize how much time I waste on youtube/tv shows/cheesy asian dramas. And this all stems from the fact that reading a book requires a bit more effort than standing in front of the pc while STUFF happens. So I'm picking this up again, just to see where I can go with it. Or how much I can fail at it.



    This time, however, I am renaming the challenge. I thought about You Can't Buy Any Books Until You've Read What You Have on Your Shelf Challenge, but that was too long; Books was too short, so I came up with Literary Cleanup.*

    But why I am blogging it? Well, for the exact same reason I originally created That's So Book! : I have a very crappy memory, so I'd like to have my thoughts on the books written down, so I can recall some details I may otherwise forget. This time, I am making things easier for me, so no 40 page essay will be required. There are some books that I simply don't have anything to comment on, even though I really liked them. Also, I will note if I have read a certain book in portuguese or in english via...err...something. I will take care of that later.

    Let me ask you all, though...are any of you doing a similar project?

    *You have to excuse the overuse of capitals, but ever since Guards! Guards! they have become so much fnu fun to abuse.

    1 comments:

    Raquel said...

    I've never tried something like the 50 book challenge, though this year I've set up a very short list of books I want to read in 2010.

    I'll read more than the ones I chose, but I'd never get near 50 books in a year. Maybe if I was Internetless and TVless I'd be able to.

    Also, I've tried staying away from the whole purchase of books thing, because I have tons of unread ones in my bookshelves, but I've failed.

    Miserably.

    Every single time.

    The last time I tried was after X-mas: 'I won't get more books until the Lisbon Book Fair!'... A week later I find a bargain at Fnac, and get it. A few weeks later I buy 3 books at once because they had a nice propotion... you get the picture. -ahem-