Monday, 13 June 2011

Otomen - episode 6 recap

Remember when I used to do these? If so, where can I send the money to?

I've actually finished the show, and it's taken me a while to put the recaps up simply because I've had absolutely no time to do so. Yay, college.

The episode starts with no explanations. Nothing new there.



...what?



Oh, it's a homecoming queen-type thing. And Transfer Student Girl's opponent is Leader of the Mean Girls. Wow, this is all SO SURPRISING.

Apparently, this Nadeshiko person is a very beautiful girl from a long time ago...



...that owned a copy of After Effects.



As you can see, the person playing Asuka's teacher is illustrating the legend of Nadeshiko. I capped this because I feel it will be relevant later, judging from the previews I've watched.



...effects.

To pay homage to this fairytale, there's an annual Nadeshi-con.



I know, you two would be PERFECT. OMGZ. THINK OF THE PRETTY APRONS.

The four aspects Transfer Student Girl will have to master are:



Which sounds very promising, as we know she used to punch bears in the face as a kid.



THE VAGINA TO END ALL VAGINAS.

Of course, the show finds a SUBTLE way to involve Asuka, so he becomes her “attendant”.



Because everyone was probably bored shitless and wanted to shut her up.

So, Queen Bitch is the representative of the third year, Transfer Student Girl represents the second year and the first year's face is...



Yep. I groaned in the exact same way you just did.





Elsewhere, Thin Guy From Bleach hears that Asuka is participating in the contest and thus, he decides to freshen up our memories by trying to be Queen Bitch's attendant. For no reason. CONFLICT.

The funniest part is the out-bitching that ensues. (The next bit is a little spammy, but worth it.)












The contest begins!



For a moment, I thought those were vuvuzelas. I was scared.

Trasnfer Student Girl and Queen Bitch make their entrances as normal and Bad Hair Dude...



...chooses a bad time for a makeover.




...this. Show. *shakes head*



THIS IS A REFERENCE TO GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. WHY. I FEEL VIOLATED.



Which, from what I understand, is impossible without the help of a man, as the obi is quite thick and needs to be tied tightly.



To me, this is more interesting than anything I've seen so far. All of those ties have meanings, as do the colours and patterns on each kimono.
Both Asuka and Thin Guy From Bleach fangirl over each other's work, even though they are RIVALS OF DOOM.

This ends up being a tie. The next event is



The tea ceremony. Also a fascinating part of their culture, because not only preparation is important, but also, the way you serve and handle the cups. Queen Bitch takes this one.

Next, flower arrangement!



Queen Bitch's work.



Transfer Student Girl's “original” take on flower arrangement.

Then, the attendants have to explain the pieces. Asuka bullshits his way through, and Thin Guy From Bleach sparkles his way through...until he says it's a soulless arrangement, because she is indeed a total bitch.

Transfer Student Girl wins.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THERE'S A TIE BEFORE THE FINAL EVENT. WHAT SAY YOU, OMC?

I KNOW, RIGHT?



Then, they cook in funny-looking aprons. Queen Bitch is doing just fine, but Transfer Student Girl's cooking is full of fail so Asuka MOUTHS WHAT SHE HAS TO DO IN A ROOM FULL OF PEOPLE AND IN PLAIN VIEW OF THE JUDGES, WHO SOMEHOW MISS THIS.



It actually looks delicious.



...but I'd eat Transfer Student Girl's dish much faster. It looks like something my mum would cook.



And this is why, out of all the people in the show, I like her the most. This is a very sweet scene and I fully believe she would do something like this. It's not fancy, but it's made with care.

The score is even, so they have a FINAL DECIDING TASK.



ARCHERY: THE SPORT FOR LADIES.



This shot isn't very clear, but Transfer Student Girl hits it.



In Asuka's land, there's no such thing as electricity.


Next episode: … I have no idea. I really don't.

0 comments: